3Net Launches Production and Distribution Division
Unit will support production of 2D and 3D, in formats up to 4K with an eye toward Ultra-HDTV.
3net—a joint venture from Sony, Discovery and IMAX that operates a 24/7 3D channel—has formed 3net Studios, a new global television program production and distribution division.
The aim is to create content in a range of 2D and 3D formats including native 3D 4K, 2D 4K, 3D 2K and both 3D/2D HD formats to accommodate current and future needs, including Ultra High Definition Television and second screen platforms.
The administrations of the International Telecommunication Union recently agreed on two levels of UHDTV that include 4K and even 8K, making it officially a worldwide standard and prompting increased exploration of the format in the television industry.
Tom Cosgrove, president and CEO of 3net, said in a statement that with “demand for 3D programming across multiple platforms—and now with the evolution of 4K—the formation of a world class production studio to help fill both the 3D and Ultra High Definition content voids became a logical next step in our evolution as a global player in the entertainment arena.”
3net Studios will operate out of Sony Pictures—which already maintains a 4K and 3D production center on its Culver City studio lot—and Discovery Communications headquarters in Silver Spring, MD.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical