'40-Year-Old Virgin' actor arrested
Shelley Malil accused of attempted murder
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- An actor who appeared in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after his former girlfriend was stabbed more than 20 times, authorities said Tuesday.
Shelley Malil, 43, was taken into custody late Monday as he left a train in Oceanside, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said. He remained in custody on $2 million bail in San Diego's Central Jail; his arraignment was scheduled for Wednesday.
Authorities confirmed the victim's identity as Kendra Beebe. According to her Facebook page, she is a 35-year-old mother of two who works as an insurance broker in Carlsbad, a coastal suburb.
She was in critical condition Monday, according to the San Diego Sheriff's Department. Spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said Tuesday she had no update on Beebe's condition.
"Malil and the victim had apparently been in a dating relationship which recently ended," the Sheriff's Department said in a statement.
Malil's agent, Mark Measure of Abrams Artist Agency, declined comment.
Malil starred in a 2001 Super Bowl commercial for Budweiser. He also played a co-worker, Haziz, to comedian Steve Carell's title character in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." He also has appeared in dozens of TV shows including "NYPD Blue" and "Scrubs."
He had taken the train from Los Angeles to meet his attorney, who had joined the actor's family and friends in persuading him to turn himself in, deputies said.
Deputies found the victim Sunday night while responding to reports of screams for help and breaking glass in San Marcos, about 15 miles east of Oceanside.
Malil, who lives in Sherman Oaks, a suburb of Los Angeles, was arrested for investigation of attempted murder, mayhem and burglary and booked into the county's Vista Detention Center.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott