40th Student Academy Award Winners Honored
Bob Saget announced the medal placements at a ceremony at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Sixteen students from colleges and universities around the world were honored Saturday night as winners at the 40th Student Academy Awards ceremony at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. While the students’ names had been previously announced, at the ceremony Bob Saget, a Student Academy Award winner himself in 1978, revealed the gold, silver and bronze medal placements awarded to the honorees. Writer-director Kimberly Peirce and actors Clark Gregg, Jason Schwartzman and Quvenzhané Wallis presented the awards.
This year’s winners are:
Gold Medal: Bottled Up, Rafael Cortina, Occidental College
Silver Medal: Zug, Perry Janes, University of Michigan
Bronze Medal: The Compositor, John Mattiuzzi, School of Visual Arts
Gold Medal: Dia de los Muertos, Lindsey St. Pierre and Ashley Graham, Ringling College of Art and Design
Silver Medal: Will, Eusong Lee, California Institute of the Arts
Bronze Medal: Peck Pocketed, Kevin Herron, Ringling College of Art and Design
Gold Medal: A Second Chance, David Aristizabal, University of Southern California
Silver Medal: Every Tuesday: A Portrait of The New Yorker Cartoonists, Rachel Loube, School of Visual Arts
Bronze Medal: Win or Lose, Daniel Koehler, Elon University
Gold Medal: Ol’ Daddy, Brian Schwarz, University of Texas at Austin
Silver Medal: Josephine and the Roach, Jonathan Langager, University of Southern California
Bronze Medal: Un Mundo para Raúl (A World for Raúl), Mauro Mueller, Columbia University
Gold Medal: Miss Todd, Kristina Yee, National Film and Television School, United Kingdom
Silver Medal: Parvaneh, Talkhon Hamzavi, Zurich University of the Arts, Switzerland
Bronze Medal: Tweesprong (Crossroads), Wouter Bouvijn, RITS School of Arts, Erasmus University College Brussels, Belgium
This year saw first-time honors go to Elon University, Occidental College and the University of Michigan in the U.S. competition, as well as to Zurich University of the Arts and RITS School of Arts, Erasmus University College Brussels, in the foreign competition.
The Student Academy Awards were established in 1972 to support and encourage excellence in filmmaking at the collegiate level. Past Student Academy Award winners have gone on to receive 46 Oscar nominations and have won or shared eight awards. The roster includes such filmmakers as John Lasseter, Pete Docter, Robert Zemeckis, Trey Parker and Spike Lee.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'