5 Facts About 'Bridesmaids' Star Kristen Wiig
The "Saturday Night Live" star headlines her first major movie.
Kristen Wiig is known for creating wacky characters on Saturday Night Live, but after this weekend, she'll have introduced a new persona to the world. Wilg plays Annie, the maid of honor in her best friend's wedding in Bridesmaids, which the actress also co-wrote. The film opens Friday.
Here's what you need to know about the comedian.
1) She's a native New Yorker. Wiig wasn't born in NYC, but she is a Rochester, NY native. Before becoming a comedian, she tried her hand a being a florist, graphic artist and a decorative painter.
2) Wiig got her start in comedy as a member of LA's improve/sketch group The Groundlings. Other famous members include Phil Hartman, Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman), Will Ferrell, Kathy Griffin, Maya Rudolph (her Bridesmaids co-star), Lisa Kudrow and Conan O'Brien.
3) She made her big screen debut as Katherine Heigl's insulting boss in Judd Apatow's hit Knocked Up. She's gone on to appear in Whip It!, Extract, Adventureland and MacGruber.
4) She recently retired two of her most famous SNL characters. Fans of her one-upper Penelope and troublesome schoolgirl Gilly will have to watch reruns. She has said she won't play them again.
5) She doesn't thing she's funny. "I went through my high school yearbook recently," Wiig told Time recently. "I was surprised people wrote I had a good sense of humor. I don't remember being funny."