50 Cent Pleads Not Guilty, Ordered to Steer Clear of Ex-Girlfriend
The rapper is accused of kicking the mother of his child and causing $7,100 in property damages.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rapper 50 Cent stood silently before a judge on Monday as his attorney entered a plea of not guilty to domestic violence and vandalism charges involving an ex-girlfriend who is the mother of his child.
The performer, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, was told to stay away from Daphne Narvarez and was forbidden from contacting her by phone or email.
He was also told he could not possess any weapons.
The 37-year-old "In Da Club" singer was ordered to return to court on Sept. 4 for a pretrial hearing.
Narvarez says Jackson trashed her California condo and kicked her during an argument on June 23. She said she locked herself in a bedroom but Jackson kicked open the door and kicked her, causing injury.
Police said Jackson was gone when they arrived, and they saw broken items including chandeliers, furniture and a television. They said property worth $7,100 was destroyed.
Narvarez said she had a three-year relationship with Jackson.
The rapper was charged with domestic violence and four counts of vandalism. If convicted, he could face up to five years behind bars and $46,000 in fines.
Outside the court, defense attorney Scott Leemon said his client denies the allegations.
The rapper has referenced drug dealing and violence in his songs and is known for having survived nine gunshots in an attempted assassination. He also has worked as an actor, starring in an autobiographical account of his life as a drug dealer in Get Rich or Die Tryin'.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera