'60 Minutes' Reviewing Benghazi Report in Light of 'New Information'
Lara Logan's story relied on an interview with a man who may have lied. Says CBS News, "We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction."
CBS News is reviewing an Oct. 27 60 Minutes report on the attack of the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi after receiving "new information" about the story's major source.
Lara Logan's report relied heavily on information from a British security contractor who said his name was Morgan Jones. The man's name is actually Dylan Davies, and what he told Logan about the events surrounding the attack differ from what he said in an official report. According to his 60 Minutes interview and a memoir published by a CBS subsidiary about the attack, he arrived at the embassy as the attack raged. But he wrote in an official report that he was not actually present during the attack, though last week he denied writing that report.
From practically the moment CBS aired its report, it has been under assault from the left-wing watchdog group Media Matters for America, which has issued more than a dozen posts on the report.
60 Minutes released a statement Thursday evening saying it is looking into the accuracy of the story.
"60 Minutes has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound," the statement reads. "We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction."
CBS billed its interview with Davies as "the first eyewitness account from a westerner" present the night of Sept. 11, 2012, attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
Paul Bond contributed to this report.