The 7 Biggest National Anthem Flubs (Video)
Christina Aguilera isn’t the only person who has flubbed the lyrics to the National Anthem. Below, a collection of spectacular lyric mishaps – with video.
1. Roseanne Barr - 1990: The actress spit and grabbed her crotch during her rendition at a San Diego Padres baseball game, later explaining she knew she started in the wrong key and wouldn't hit the high note -- so decided to go for broke.
2. Leslie Nielsen - 1988: Frank Dreblin's version, which appeared in Naked Gun, is completely turned around, including lyrics like "and the home of the land."
3. Michael Bolton - 2003: The singer referred to lyrics scribbled on his hand (he lost his place after "were so gallantly streaming") while performing at a New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox game.
4. Jesse McCartney - 2009: The teen singer forgot the line "What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming" while performing at a NASCAR 2009 Pepsi 500 race.
5. Carl Lewis - 1993: The Olympic track star sang "with so gallantly streaming" at a New Jersey Nets basketball game.
6. The Eli Young Band - 2010: Mike Eli has performed the song countless times in stadiums but forgot what came after "twilight's last gleaming" while performing at a Kansas City Chiefs game -- and was met with jeers.
7. Christina Aguilera - Super Bowl 2011: The singer basically repeated a line twice: "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last gleaming." She later told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement: "I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of it's anthem still came through."