7 Days of Deals
DEAL OF THE WEEK: Clooney to Star In Prop 8 Play: George Clooney has signed to star in the West Coast premiere of 8, a stage play chronicling the historic federal court trial overturning Proposition 8, the ballot measure that denied gay and lesbian Californians the right to marry. The production -- directed by Rob Reiner and written by Dustin Lance Black -- will run one night only at Los Angeles' Wilshire Ebell Theatre on March 3. Proceeds will benefit the American Foundation for Equal Rights in its national fight for marriage equality. The move west follows a successful performance of the play in New York in September featuring a cast including Morgan Freeman, Ellen Barkin, John Lithgow, Bradley Whitford and others. In the L.A. version, Clooney will be joined by another all-star cast who will play the roles of the legal teams, plaintiffs and witnesses for both sides of the case, which is now on appeal. Additional castmembers will be announced soon. "It is astonishing that gay and lesbian Americans are still treated as second-class citizens," Clooney tells THR. "I am confident that, very soon, the laws of this nation will reflect the basic truth that gay and lesbian people -- like all human beings -- are born equal in dignity and rights." Opponents of Proposition 8 have called on the court to unseal the video of the federal trial for the public to see. A ruling is expected soon. In the meantime, the limited showing of 8 will have to suffice. "People need to witness what happened in the Proposition 8 trial," says Black, the Oscar-winning writer of the Harvey Milk biopic Milk as well as this year's J. Edgar, "if for no other reason than to see inequality and discrimination unequivocally rejected in a court of law where truth and facts matter." -- Tina Daunt
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Did James Bond Want His Martinis 'Shaken, Not Stirred' Because Of An Alcohol-Induced Tremor?
- Rebecca Black: There Will Be No "Sunday" After "Saturday," Didn't Get Paid For "Friday"
- Women Rejoice At The News Of Beyonce's New Album, Because, Duh
- Oprah Winfrey Turned Down Roles In 'Prisoners' And 'The Paperboy'