8 Decades of The Hollywood Reporter
The most glamorous and memorable moments from a storied history.
With the World Series under way, Moneyball has joined the pantheon of baseball movies that has The Pride of the Yankees batting cleanup. The 1942 film recounts the life story of Hall of Fame first baseman Lou Gehrig, whose career was cut short by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (now commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease). It was Gehrig who stood before 62,000 fans at Yankee Stadium on July 4, 1939, and gave the greatest farewell speech in the history of anything ("People all say that I've had a bad break. But today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth"). He died a year before the film starring Gary Cooper was released. It did the kind of business Moneyball's producers would shed tears for. "Goldwyn Pic Off to Largest Preem Mobs in Film History," read a headline in The Hollywood Reporter (the opening-night gross was $101,000 at 41 New York theaters, which THR called "a great boost for the picture business"). The review lauded Pride as a "spine-tingling, heart-tugging human document." It earned 11 Oscar noms (including best picture and best actor for Cooper) but won only for editing. Gehrig, who played in a then-record 2,130 consecutive games, was such an esteemed figure that though the film was released by RKO, at producer Samuel Goldwyn's request Disney created an animated short called How to Play Baseball that screened before the film; Goofy played all the positions. It has more than 1 million hits on YouTube.
"Samuel Goldwyn couldn't have given the youth of America a finer gift, nor the sweethearts of America a finer love story." -- Walter Winchell, on "The Pride of the Yankees"
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack