8 Decades of The Hollywood Reporter
The most glamorous and memorable moments from a storied history.
It's been an unusually strong year for performances by children in film, with Asa Butterfield, 14, in Hugo; Thomas Horn, 14, in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close; and Elle Fanning, 13, in Super 8. But that hasn't translated into award nominations. Historically, Hollywood hasn't been generous in rewarding youth. There's Anna Paquin winning a supporting actress Oscar for The Piano at age 11 and Tatum O'Neal taking the same award at 10 for Paper Moon. In the past, the Golden Globes gave a statuette to Ricky Schroder, then 9, for The Champ. At the 1983 Globes ceremony, 7-year-old Drew Barrymore, who wasn't nominated for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, took a different route to being the center of attention at the Beverly Hilton. In addition to wearing one of the evening's standout gowns, she and E.T. co-star Henry Thomas, 11, read out the children's-story version of how Globes voting worked. "The chosen rulers of Hollywood Foreign Pressland make a great big list of all the TV shows and movies and actors and everything we saw last year," said Barrymore. "And then, after the envelopes are opened, everybody lives happily ever after." This played to major laughter and applause. Barrymore, now 36, had another big moment later in the festivities: She was sitting on Frank Marshall's lap and applauding wildly when his future wife, Kathleen Kennedy, took the stage to accept the best motion picture drama award as a producer of E.T.
"Drew comes from a great theater family, and she honors the name she carries." -- Aida Takla-O'Reilly, president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, who attended the 1983 Globes
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game