8 Decades of The Hollywood Reporter
The most glamorous and memorable moments from a storied history.
Kristen Stewart was about to turn 12 when David Fincher's Panic Room -- about a mother and child who take refuge for nearly the entire movie in a safe room during a burglary -- was released in March 2002. As the tomboy daughter of Jodie Foster's character, she's virtually unrecognizable from the ingenue she would become as Twilight's Bella or Snow White & The Huntsman's princess. It's a naivete she has fostered on and off the screen until recently admitting to an affair with her married Snow White director, Rupert Sanders.
Panic Room may have been a hit with audiences, grossing nearly $200 million worldwide, but it wasn't with critics. THR's David Hunter was among the naysayers, writing, "You need more than a set … to make a good movie."
While most reviewers didn't elaborate on Stewart's performance, agents and studios fell hard for the budding actress. Raised in Los Angeles, she'd first been spotted by an agent at age 8 in a school play. She secured a few small roles, but Panic Room proved her breakout.
The tween -- who grew three inches during filming -- lucked out when Hayden Panettiere exited the film. Laray Mayfield, who cast Stewart, tells THR it was Stewart's "spunk" and professionalism that hooked her: "Even at 11, she was very serious about her work." As for Stewart's recollections, the actress once said: "When I got Panic Room, I'm like, 'Oh my God, that's huge! It's bigger than huge.' "
"We loved her because she reminded us of a young Jodie Foster." -- David Fincher, in a 2002 interview
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'