'A Night With Janis Joplin' to Play Broadway
Starring Mary Bridget Davies as the iconic rocker, the concert-style tribute show comes to New York after acclaimed regional engagements in the past two years.
NEW YORK -- The raw, emotional energy that characterized the legendary late '60s Queen of Rock 'n' Roll will blaze again when A Night With Janis Joplin plays Broadway in the fall.
Written and directed by Randy Johnson, the concert-style tribute show stars Mary Bridget Davies as the iconic rocker, whose hits included "Piece of My Heart," "Cry Baby," "Mercedes Benz" and "Me and Bobby McGee." In addition to Davies, the show features an eight-piece band and a trio of backup singers.
Since premiering in 2011 at Portland Center Stage, the production has played hit engagements in Cleveland, D.C., Pasadena and Milwaukee.
Praising Davies' uncanny evocation of Joplin's vocals and stage persona, the Washington Post theater critic Peter Marks wrote, "It's a portrait, more than anything else, of a romance: a singer in love with the cleansing embrace of the crowd."
The show begins previews at the Lyceum Theatre on Sept. 20, with official opening set for Oct. 10.
Producers on the Broadway run are Todd Gershwin and Daniel Chilewich, in association with The Estate of Janis Joplin and Jeffrey Jampol for JAM, Inc.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!