Aaliyah Died 10 Years Ago Today: What Fans Say
The singer -- who died in a plane crash after filming a music video for "Rock the Boat" -- is memorialized on Twitter.
Aaliyah died 10 years ago today in a plane crash en route to Florida from The Bahamas, where she was filming her music video for "Rock the Boat." The singer (real name: Aaliyah Dana Haughton) is still ranked by Billboard magazine as the 10th most successful female R&B artist of the past 25 years.
The Brooklyn-born, Detroit-raised singer got her first taste of the spotlight after appearing on Star Search at age 10. By 12, she signed her first record contract with Jive, and released her first album, Age Ain't Nothing but a Number, which sold three million copies and went double platinum.
Her second album (on which she worked with Timbaland and Missy Elliot), One in a Million, sold 8 million copies worldwide. The single "Try Again" from that record earned her a Grammy nomination.
She then began acting, first in Romeo Must Die, for which she also sang on the soundtrack, and then Queen of the Damned.
Her third and final album, the eponymous-named Aaliyah, was released in July 2001 - the month before she died.
Here's what fans are saying about Aaliyah on the 10th anniversary of her death.:
TheSourceMag The Source Magazine
10 years ago today R.I.P Aaliyah. Your music still speaks to this day.
Where were you.. How did you find out.. How did you feel... When Aaliyah passed? #WeLoveAaliyah add that to ur tweet
So as you say a prayer for the souls of #Aaliyah, don't forget the eight others who also perished in that crash 10 years ago today
Aaliyah Dana Haughton - One of the most beautiful spirits I have encountered. We are still missing u...
R.I.P. Aaliyah Dana Haughton (January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001) She's still One In A Million!
R.I.P to my idol the woman tht inspires me most the beautiful Aaliyah u are truly missed ! <3
Rest in Peace Aaliyah! If she was still here Beyonce would be as insignificant as the third chick in Destiny's Child.
Aaliyah was so beautiful with a peaceful beautiful soul #rip babygirl
@missyelliott: Aaliyah til this very day u r still in Your own Lane! Ure music is Timeless! We miss u! #WeLoveuAaliyah!
RIP to Aaliyah ! A true legend and definitely she was One In A Million. We miss our BabyGirl. An angel gone too soon .
10yrs ago 2day we lost 1 of the most classy, beautiful & sophisticated women! She may be gone but not forgotten! R.I.P. Aaliyah!
Today we celebrate the life & legacy of Aaliyah. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Ur music will still live on. RIP Baby Girl.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead