A$AP Rocky Charged With Assault After Slapping Female Fan
UPDATED: The incident allegedly occurred while the rapper was in Philadelphia for the Made in America Fest.
Harlem rapper A$AP Rocky has been hit with an assault charge in Philadelphia for allegedly slapping a female fan after his set at the Made in America Fest there this past weekend, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.
A spokesperson from the City of Philadelphia's District Attorney's office verified that a charge of simple assault and harassment had been filed against A$AP Rocky, born Rakim Mayers. She said the complainant alleges that at the Made in America concert on Saturday, Aug. 31, at some point A$AP Rocky was making his way through the crowd and slapped the alleged victim in the face as her friends watched.
The complainant then made her way to a police officer there who advised her to file a private criminal complaint with the district attorney's office, which she attempted to do when the office opened on Tuesday following the Labor Day holiday. The complainant did not know she would have to pay a court fee and include the alleged assailant's name and address with her complaint, and returned Wednesday to file. After reviewing the complaint, the district attorney's office approved it. Simple assault is a misdemeanor charge and harassment is a summary offense. A court date is scheduled in the next two to three weeks, but the spokesperson could not verify that date.
TMZ first reported the news.
A$AP has not yet commented on the incident.
The two-day Made in America Fest was curated by Jay Z and included Beyonce, Nine Inch Nails, Deadmau5, Phoenix, Queens of the Stone Age and others on its roster.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty