Sundance: Aaron Paul Drama 'Hellion' Nabbed by Sundance Selects
Written and directed by Kat Candler, the film also stars Juliette Lewis and Josh Wiggins.
Sundance Selects has acquired the North American rights to Kat Candler's Hellion.
Written by Candler, the film stars Aaron Paul, Juliette Lewis and Josh Wiggins.
The drama made its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 17 at Library Center Theatre, and Sundance Selects plans a theatrical and VOD release later this year.
The story centers on 13-year-old Jacob Wilson (Wiggins in his feature film debut). Obsessed with heavy metal, dirt bike racing and partaking in the occasional act of vandalism with his band of delinquents, Jacob's behavior has begun to raise concerns around town, especially when it starts to involve his younger brother Wes (newcomer Deke Garner). While the boys' father, Hollis (Paul), loves his sons, he is still reeling from the loss of their mother, spending more time drowning his sorrows at the local bar and working on his damaged beach house than being an active parent. When the local authorities catch wind of the increasingly volatile situation, Wes is taken into custody and placed with his Aunt Pam (Lewis), leaving Jacob and Hollis to fend for themselves. In Wes' absence, Jacob becomes increasingly obsessed with two things: winning a local motocross championship and getting his brother back.
Discovered on YouTube, Wiggins made a splash at Sundance with the critically hailed performance.
"Kat Candler has crafted an exquisite and beautiful drama featuring towering performances across the board," Sundance Selects president Jonathan Sehring said: "The entire cast here, including Aaron Paul as we have never seen him before and the remarkable arrival of young Josh Wiggins, make this film an absolute must-watch for any serious filmgoer."
Added Candler: "We couldn’t be more thrilled to find such a great home in Sundance Selects. It's an honor to be in the company of so many of my favorite films that IFC Films and Sundance Selects have released over the years."
Kelly Williams and Jonathan Duffy produced Hellion. Jeff Nichols, Sarah Green, Janice Beard, Tanner Beard and Suzanne Weinert executive produced. Paul co-executive produced by Aaron Paul.
UTA repped the filmmakers. Arianna Bocco negotiated on behalf of Sundance Selects.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game