ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas Checks Back Into Rehab
Elizabeth Vargas has checked back into rehab.
The 20/20 co-anchor and ABC News correspondent entered rehab Saturday for alcohol issues, Vargas' rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. The New York Post first reported the news. Vargas had previously entered rehab in November 2013.
"While on vacation this weekend, I decided to return to a recovery center," Vargas, 51, said in a statement released to THR. "As so many other recovering alcoholics know, overcoming the disease can be a long and incredibly difficult process."
"I feel I have let myself, my co-workers and most importantly my family down, and for that I am ashamed and sorry," she added. "I am committed to battling and addressing this debilitating disease and want to thank everyone who has offered their unwavering support during this trying time."
ABC spokeswoman Heather Riley said that the network supports Vargas in her battle. "Nothing is more important than Elizabeth's health and well-being, and we stand squarely behind her," Riley said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with Elizabeth and her family, and we look forward to having her back at ABC News when she feels ready to return."
Vargas, who has two children with husband Marc Cohn, discussed her alcoholism in January on Good Morning America. "I am an alcoholic," she said at the time, adding that it took her a while to admit this to her family. In March, she announced plans to write a memoir about dealing with the disease, to be published in spring 2016.
On Aug. 11, Vargas referenced addiction in her tweet about Robin Williams' suicide. "I am so sad for Robin — and his fight with addiction," she wrote. "My heart goes out to his wife and kids." The next day, when someone on Twitter wished Vargas luck in her own fight with addiction, she replied: "Thanks! It really is one day at a time."