ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas Enters Rehab
"Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction," the anchor said in a statement.
Elizabeth Vargas, co-anchor and correspondent on ABC News' 20/20, checked into a rehab facility for addiction and alcohol-related issues.
"Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction," Vargas said in a statement released Wednesday. "I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol and feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming. I am in treatment and am so thankful for the love and support of my family, friends and colleagues at ABC News. Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge one day at a time. If coming forward today gives one other person the courage to seek help, I'm grateful."
Vargas, 51, resides on the Upper West Side with her husband, Marc Cohn, a singer-songwriter, and their two sons. The New York Daily News first reported that Vargas had sought treatment.
Sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter that the ABC anchor has been in an undisclosed facility for the last couple of weeks. Vargas, who joined 20/20 in 2004 and has also hosted World News Tonight and guest-hosted Good Morning America, is expected to return to the network after her treatment is completed. 20/20 will keep being hosted by co-anchor David Muir in Vargas' absence.
"We are proud of the steps Elizabeth has taken and are pulling for her recovery," an ABC News spokesperson stated. "We look forward to having her back home at ABC News, where she has done so much distinguished work over the years. Elizabeth is a member of our family, and we will support her in every way we can."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)