Academy's Sci-Tech Committee Announces Seven Achievements Up for Awards Consideration
A recommendation will be sent in early December to the board of governors, which will make the final awards considerations.
The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Friday that seven scientific and technical achievements have been selected for further awards consideration.
The committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy's board of governors, which will make the final awards decision. First, though, the list is being made public so that individuals and companies with similar devices or claims can submit their achievements for review. The deadline to submit additional entries is Aug. 28.
The committee has selected the following methods or devices for further consideration:
Tissue: A Physically-Based Character Simulation Framework (Weta Digital)
Zviz: Previsualization System (Lucasfilm)
Light: Lighting Tool (PDI Dreamworks)
Wavelet Turbulence for Fluid Simulation (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Planar Tracking: mocha and Enabling Technology (Imagineer Systems Ltd.)
Cine VCLX Portable Power System (Anton/Bauer)
Matthews MAX Menace Arm (Matthews Studio Equipment)
The Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills on Feb. 9.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10