Activision: 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3' Sets Five-Day Sales Record
The video game has grossed more than $775 million worldwide.
NEW YORK - Video game giant Activision Blizzard said Thursday that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has "shattered theatrical box office, book and video game sales records" for five-day worldwide sell-through in dollars, crossing the $775 million mark.
That beat the company's own previous record of $650 million set a year ago by Call of Duty: Black Ops. Activision had recorded $550 million two years ago for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
The company cited Charttrack and retail customer sell-through data.
"With $775 million of sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in its first five days, Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for three consecutive years across all forms of entertainment," said Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick.
Life-to-date retail sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded $6 billion worldwide, making it "one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world," he said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR