Adam Young Responds to Taylor Swift Love Song
7:59 PM PST 2/13/2011 by Annie Yuan
The Owl City singer records his own version of “Enchanted,” the ballad Swift penned about their first encounter.
It looks like Taylor Swift’s personal “Love Story” will have a happy ending -- just in time for Valentine’s Day.
The country singer, known for writing songs about her troubled past relationships, hasn’t tried to hide the fact that the sweeping romantic ballad “Enchanted” on her last album Speak Now describes her unrealized crush on Owl City’s Adam Young.
“It was about this guy that I met in New York City, and I had talked to him on email or something before, but I had never met him,” she told Yahoo! Music last year. “And meeting him, it was this overwhelming feeling of: I really hope that you're not in love with somebody.”
She added that she purposely included the word “wonderstruck” in the lyrics because the subject of the song had used it in one of their email exchanges. To clear any lingering doubt about the mystery man’s identity, she capitalized the letters A-D-A-M in the album’s lyric booklet.
On Saturday, Young finally responded to Swift’s public serenade. Addressing the singer on Owl City's website, Young confessed that he too felt sparks fly when they first met.
“I'll be the first to admit I'm a rather shy boy and since music is the most eloquent form of communication I can muster, I decided to record something for you--a sort of a 'reply' to the breathtaking song on your current record,” he wrote. “You are a true princess from a dreamy fairy tale, and above all, I just want you to know...I was enchanted to meet you too.”
His recording of “Enchanted” carries Owl City’s jazzy, fanciful signature and includes a few lyric tweaks, as well as a new verse at the end: “I was never in love with someone else / I never had somebody waiting on me / 'Cause you were all of my dreams come true / And I just wish you knew / Taylor I was so in love with you.”
The verse is a direct response to Swift’s original lyrics, “Please don’t be in love with someone else / Please don’t have somebody waiting on you.”
Watch the video below to hear Young’s response to Swift.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack