Adele, Katy Perry and Marylin Manson Rock German Echo Awards
Adele wins album of the year and best female international act at local equivalent of the Grammys.
COLOGNE, Germany – Katy Perry straddled the stage in a sliver cat suit and neon-blue hair while Marylin Manson and German hard-rockers Rammstein teamed up for a goth extravaganza at Thursday night’s Echo Awards, Germany’s top music honors.
But it was Brit singer Adele who walked away with the prizes, taking album of the year for her sophomore effort 21 as well as the Echo for best female international artist. Adele beat out hefty competition from Lady Gaga and the late Amy Winehouse to add to her growing trophy case, which includes a pile of Grammys and BRIT awards.
Brit popsters dominated this year’s Echos, with James Morrison taking the best international male artist nod and Coldplay winning best international group. But Rammstein defended their home turf, winning the Echo for best alternative group, as well as the trophy for best German act abroad.
The 2012 Echos were a star-studded affair, featuring live appearances by Lana Del Ray, Bruno Mars and Sean Paul, among others.
That wasn’t enough, however, to keep audience interest. Just 2.5 million German viewers tuned in for the 21st Echo awards on public channel ARD, nearly a million fewer than last year.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'