Adele Undergoes Surgery on Vocal Cords
The singer was forced to cancel dozens of shows due to vocal illness.
After months of health issues with her vocal cords and cancelling dozens of shows, Adele has finally undergone surgery to hopefully remedy the problem and make a return to singing and performing.
The singer had surgery on Monday at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston to stop bleeding on a benign polyp on her vocal cords.
A specialist in laryngeal surgery at Harvard, Dr. Steven Zeitels performed the operation. He "expects Adele to make a full recovery from her laser microsurgery," the hospital said in a statement. Zeitels has performed similar surgeries on other singers, including Steven Tyler.
In early October, Adele was set to kick off her sold-out 10 city tour of the U.S. on Oct. 7, but announced that she would be unable to perform due to a vocal cord hemorrhage. She also canceled a performance at the Q Awards in London on Oct. 24.
Later in October, the “Someone Like You” singer had to cancel the rest of her tour dates for 2011, which included many in the U.K., to prepare for and recover from her surgery.
“Singing is literally my life, it’s my hobby, my love, my freedom and now my job. I have absolutely no choice but to recuperate properly and fully, or I risk damaging my voice forever,” Adele wrote in a lengthy note to her fans about her reoccurring illness.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!