Afghanistan War Film 'Hornet's Nest' to Hit Theaters in Late May
The movie stars real-life father and son Mike and Carlos Boettcher, who were embedded with U.S. troops for two years.
Freestyle Releasing has won the battle for U.S. rights to Afghanistan combat film The Hornet's Nest, in which real-life father and son Mike and Carlos Boettcher re-create their time embedded as ABC News correspondents with American forces.
Hornet's Nest, made in the same immersive vein as Act of Valor, will open in select theaters May 9 before expanding nationwide May 23, the beginning of the lucrative -- and patriotic-themed -- Memorial Day holiday. David Salzberg and Christian Tureaud directed the feature film, which hopes to emulate the success of Act of Valor, as well as Peter Berg's Lone Survivor.
The Boettchers spent almost two years embedded in Afghanistan, where they rekindled their relationship under the most harrowing of circumstances. They produced Hornet's Nest alongside Salzberg and Tureaud, who are with HighRoad Media. John Brenkus and Mickey Stern executive produced for Base Productions.
Mike and Carlos Boettcher are the only father and son to ever win an Emmy for the same news story, in this case for their coverage of Strong Eagle 3, one of the most intense battles of the troop surge in Afghanistan (the battle marks the final act of the film).
"After you see The Hornet's Nest, the next time you encounter a marine or soldier, you won't just thank them, you'll hug them. That is why my son and I spent almost two years in Afghanistan at their side,” Mike Boettcher said in a statement.
Added Freestyle co-president Mark Borde: “Freestyle Releasing was immediately moved by the incredible story of Mike and Carlos Boettcher, as well as all the brave servicemen and women on the front lines shown in the film. This very commercial story of bravery and heroism will definitely appeal to mass audiences.”
The soundtrack, featuring “Follow Me” by five-time Grammy winner Wynonna Judd and husband Michael "Cactus" Moser, will be available from Gratitude Entertainment in May 2014.
HighRoad Media is repped by Authentic Talent and Literary Management.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama