AFI Fest 2011: Pedro Almodovar Named Guest Artistic Director
The Spanish filmmaker will present a 25th anniversary screening of "Law of Desire" and curate a program of films that inspired him.
Pedro Almodovar will serve as guest artistic director of AFI Fest 2011, the American Film Institute’s annual film festival, which will run Nov. 3-10 in Hollywood.
The Spanish filmmaker will present a screening of 1986’s Law of Desire, marking that film’s 25th anniversary as well as that of his production company El Deseo. He also will curate a sidebar program of films that have inspired his work; the titles will be announced in October.
Almodovar -- whose newest film, The Skin I Live In, will be released stateside by Sony Pictures Classics on Oct. 14 after it plays the New York Film Festival -- has seen eight of his movies screen at the Los Angeles festival, which celebrated his career with a tribute and retrospective in 2004 in connection with a screening of Bad Education.
“Pedro Almodóvar is a modern master,” AFI president and CEO Bob Gazzale said. “His genius inspires artists and audiences alike, and it is an honor for the American Film Institute to celebrate him and his singular voice at AFI FEST.”
AFI Fest, which is presented by Audi, will place at the Chinese Theatre, the Chinese 6 Theaters, the Egyptian Theatre and the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It offers free tickets to all its screenings, with AFI members receiving first access to free individual tickets.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR