AFI Fest Guest Director Agnes Varda Selects Four Films for Program
The festival will also pay tribute to her by including images from her 1962 film "Cleo From 5 to 7" in its poster and other marketing materials.
Agnes Varda, who is serving as guest artistic director of AFI Fest 2013, has selected four films to screen during the festival, which runs from Nov. 7-14 in Hollywood.
They are Robert Bresson's Pickpocket, John Cassavetes' A Woman Under the Influence, Rainer Werner Fassbinder's The Marriage of Maria Braun and Martin Scorsese's After Hours. In addition, the festival will screen a selection of Varda's films, including restored versions of Cleo From 5 to 7 and Documenteur.
The festival also is paying tribute to Varda by including photos from Cleo, her influential 1962 film starring Corrinne Marchand, in its marketing and promotional materials.
"It's always good to be chosen, but it's funny to be chosen to choose, therefore I immediately accepted the invitation from AFI Fest to propose some films for their program," Varda said. "They suggested that I pick some films that have influenced me. Alas, I can't. When I wrote and shot my first film in 1954, La Point Courte, I had hardly seen 10 films. My culture was books, painting and theatre. Alain Resnais, who edited my film, was the one who told me about cinema and suggested that I go to the Cinematheque, which I had not approached before. If I had seen the masterpieces that I discovered later I certainly would not have dared to create a film at 26. My ignorance gave me freedom and audacity. For AFI Fest I chose four films that have been important in my life."
AFI Fest also will screen a restoration of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg), directed by Varda's late husband, Jacques Demy.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Elisabeth Moss Jokes About Once Being Harassed By Stylist to Wear a Sexy Jumpsuit!
- Emma Roberts Wants to See More 'True Detective'!
- Aaron Paul 'Can't Wait' to Have Kids with Lauren Parsekian, Hopes They're Mini Versions of His Wife!
- Milo Ventimiglia & His 'Visitors' Cast Are Excited to Start Filming!