AFI Fest: Secret Screening Is Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Haywire’
The star-packed action thriller, with Channing Tatum, Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor and Antonio Banderas, will debut Sunday night, festival organizers announced.
Last year, eventual best-picture nominee The Fighter was selected for AFI Fest’s “secret screening.” This year, festival organizers have again pulled out a big surprise screening: the highly anticipated action thriller, Haywire.
Directed by Steven Soderbergh, Haywire tells the story of Mallory Kane, played by mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano, obviously with a background that has prepared her to perform her own stunts. The movie novice is joined on screen by Channing Tatum, Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Michael Angarano, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas, and Bill Paxton.
Soderbergh said recently that he is planning to retire from the film business to pursue painting full-time. He said he has two more movies to shoot -- Liberace, starring Matt Damon and Michael Douglas, and Man From U.N.C.L.E., starring George Clooney -- and then he's going to call it quits.
Haywire – Soderbergh’s 25th film – is set to be released Jan. 20 by Relativity Media.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR