AFM 2012: Rose Byrne, Hugo Weaving and Miranda Otto Join 'The Turning'
Seventeen Australian directors will helm segments of the omnibus feature based on stories by author Tim Winton.
SANTA MONICA -- Rose Byrne (X-Men: First Class, Bridesmaids), Hugo Weaving (Cloud Atlas, The Matrix) and Lord of the Rings actress Miranda Otto have joined the sprawling cast of Australian omnibus feature The Turning.
The project is a collection of 17 stories spanning 30 years, all based on short stories by Australian writer Tim Winton. Aussie actors Cate Blanchett, Mia Wasikowska and David Wenham will mark their directorial debuts on the project, each helming a separate segment.
Other directors attached to the project include Benedict Andrews, Jonathan auf der Heide, Tony Ayres, Claire McCarthy and Stephen Page.
Other cast members includes Callan Mulvey, Susie Porter and Harrison Gilbertson.
LevelK is handling international sales and pitching the project to buyers at AFM.
All of the stories in The Turning revolve around turning points in the lives of the people of the Australian coastal town of Angelus. While the segments are separate, there are plot and thematic links between them.
Robert Connolly, whose last work was the Julian Assange biopic Underground, is producing The Turning for Arenamedia Australia with backing from Screen Australia. Footprint Films/Madman Entertainment will bow the film in Australia next year.
The Turning is the second major omnibus feature to be greenlit in Australia this year, after John Polson recently announced he had tapped actors Anthony La Paglia, Toni Colette and Liev Schreiber among the 10 directors to make Sydney Unplugged.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park