AFM 2012: Synchronicity Lines Up New Elijah Wood, John Cusack Films
The new genre production and international sales company is helping to finance horror pic "Cooties" and thriller "Due Process," and will shop both titles at the American Film Market.
Elijah Wood is set to star in Cooties, one of the first titles from his new horror production company The Woodshed.
Cooties is one of two new projects being shopped at the American Film Market by Synchronicity Entertainment. The other is John Cusack thriller Due Process.
Synchronicity is the new genre film production and international label launched by Lisa Wilson and Myles Nestel's The Solution Entertainment Group, which is arranging financing for both films. Synchronicity also will shop third-party title Smiley, a completed film directed by Michael Gallagher of YouTube fame.
Siren Studios is The Solution's partner in Synchronicity.
Cooties comes with additional pedigree -- it was co-written by Leigh Whannell (Insidious) and Ian Brennan, co-creator of Glee. Directed by Ace Norton, Cooties begins when a mysterious virus hits an isolated elementary school, transforming the kids into a feral swarm of mass savages. An unlikely hero must led a motley band of teachers in the fight of their lives.
Producers include Wood and Steven Schneider, a producer on the Paranormal Activity franchise.
Paradigm is handling North American rights, with Cooties set to start shooting in April.
"My friend Ian Brennan and I wanted to write a film about one of life's most universal experiences -- hatred for precocious, adorable children," Whannell said.
Paul Currie will direct Cusack in Due Process, a harrowing story of two big city bankers who head to a farm to foreclose it, but get more than they bargained for when the farmer (Cusack) is not willing to hand it over. Zero Gravity Management's Mark Holder, Christine Holder and Mark Williams will produce.
"What's interesting about Due Process is that it meshes the socially relevant reality of a personal financial housing crisis with gut-wrenching twists and turns of a taut thriller," said Holder, adding that the movie begins production in January.
Smiley, about a mentally fragile teen who must decide whether she is going insane, or become the next victim of a serial killer, stars social media denizens Shane Dawson, Toby Turner and DeStorm Power. The film, now completed, makes its market debut at AFM.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"