AFM 2012: Synchronicity Lines Up New Elijah Wood, John Cusack Films
The new genre production and international sales company is helping to finance horror pic "Cooties" and thriller "Due Process," and will shop both titles at the American Film Market.
Elijah Wood is set to star in Cooties, one of the first titles from his new horror production company The Woodshed.
Cooties is one of two new projects being shopped at the American Film Market by Synchronicity Entertainment. The other is John Cusack thriller Due Process.
Synchronicity is the new genre film production and international label launched by Lisa Wilson and Myles Nestel's The Solution Entertainment Group, which is arranging financing for both films. Synchronicity also will shop third-party title Smiley, a completed film directed by Michael Gallagher of YouTube fame.
Siren Studios is The Solution's partner in Synchronicity.
Cooties comes with additional pedigree -- it was co-written by Leigh Whannell (Insidious) and Ian Brennan, co-creator of Glee. Directed by Ace Norton, Cooties begins when a mysterious virus hits an isolated elementary school, transforming the kids into a feral swarm of mass savages. An unlikely hero must led a motley band of teachers in the fight of their lives.
Producers include Wood and Steven Schneider, a producer on the Paranormal Activity franchise.
Paradigm is handling North American rights, with Cooties set to start shooting in April.
"My friend Ian Brennan and I wanted to write a film about one of life's most universal experiences -- hatred for precocious, adorable children," Whannell said.
Paul Currie will direct Cusack in Due Process, a harrowing story of two big city bankers who head to a farm to foreclose it, but get more than they bargained for when the farmer (Cusack) is not willing to hand it over. Zero Gravity Management's Mark Holder, Christine Holder and Mark Williams will produce.
"What's interesting about Due Process is that it meshes the socially relevant reality of a personal financial housing crisis with gut-wrenching twists and turns of a taut thriller," said Holder, adding that the movie begins production in January.
Smiley, about a mentally fragile teen who must decide whether she is going insane, or become the next victim of a serial killer, stars social media denizens Shane Dawson, Toby Turner and DeStorm Power. The film, now completed, makes its market debut at AFM.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'