AFM 2012: 'Union Square' Director Nancy Savoca Joins 'Secret Magdalene'
Based on the novel by Ki Longfellow, the film tells the story of biblical figure Mary Magdalene.
Director Nancy Savoca (Union Square, Dogfight) has joined Secret Magdalene, a $7 million biblical period drama based on the novel of the same name by Ki Longfellow.
Jack Lechner (Blue Valentine) is on board to executive produce the feature together with Richard Guay. New Toronto-based international sales venture Double Dutch Media is handling international sales for the project at AFM.
Pitched as an alternative to traditional religious films with a more literal interpretation of the Bible, Secret Magdalene is more a "what if" tale re-imagining the life of Mary Magdalene, one of the female followers of Jesus. According to Double Dutch president Jason Moring, the film casts the early Christian movement in a political context, seeing Jesus as part of a religious cult bent on toppling the political order of the time.
Also new on Double Dutch's AFM slate is The Spider, an action adventure tale budgeted at $10 million set to begin shooting in Malta and Turkey early next year. Malcolm McDowell is attached to the film in a supporting role. The plot involves a young archeologist who uncovers an ancient artifact and unwittingly unleashes the evil spirt of the spider god Arachne.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!