AFM: Double Dutch Boards Religious Thriller 'Asher'
Mekhi Phifer, Rene Rosado and Gina Rodriguez star in Francisco Ordonez's directorial debut, about a militant religious cult.
Double Dutch has taken on international sales duties for the psychological thriller Asher starring Mekhi Phifer, Rene Rosado and Gina Rodriguez.
The feature, Francisco Ordonez' directorial debut, has its market debut at AFM.
Described as an urban Da Vinci Code with elements of Donnie Brasco, the plot of Asher involves a New York college student (Rosado) who infiltrates a militant religious cult, the Black Israelites, as part of his research for a thesis paper. The college student befriends a dissident member of the group (Phifer), whom he begins to suspect is planning a terrorist attack.
The story is based on Ordonez's own experiences studying the real-life Black Israelites as a student at Queens College. Erika Olmos of Olmos Kontakto Entertainment produced the film with Mario Burnias of LIFTT executive producing. APA represents domestic rights.
Will Lowery of APA and Double Dutch president Jason Moring negotiated the deal.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR