AFM: Download THR's Day 4 'Daily'
In day 4 of THR's AFM Daily, dealmakers lament a shrinking pool of bankable talent, Ryan Kavanaugh predicts a "bloodbath" in Hollywood next summer and buyers line up for Charlize Theron's "Dark Places."
On the eve of AFM, Foresight Unlimited’s Mark Damon and Timothy Scott Bogart were in marathon negotiations to close a deal for Spike Lee to direct Justin Timberlake in Spinning Gold, a biopic of legendary record executive Neil Bogart. The timing was agonizing for Damon, who wanted Lee in place before the start of the American Film Market. It was a familiar story for sales agents at AFM, who are increasingly frustrated at the difficulty in closing talent deals as the pool of viable stars becomes overfished. The pact with Lee was made official just as AFM got underway Wednesday — but not a moment to soon.
Ryan Kavanaugh sees plenty of new financing opportunities for independents and a tough summer ahead for major studios who are depending on expensive action movies to win over audiences. "My prediction is that there is going to be a major blood bath," said the Relativity Media CEO during the opening panel of the American Film Market finance conference on Friday. "There's an oversaturation of big superhero movies and they are becoming just more of the same. I think this summer is going to be bad for big studios whose movies pile on top of each other. The audience is going to get sick of it."
International buyers are more than willing to follow Charlize Theron to Dark Places, as Exclusive Media racked up pre-sales deals across Europe and Asia for the feature film adaptation of Gillian Flynn's best-selling novel about a brutal crime and its impact a quarter of a century later. Exclusive, which is producing and co-financing Dark Places, closed all-rights deals for the title at AFM for France (Mars), Canada (Remstar), Japan (CCC), Scandinavia (Svensk), Switzerland (Ascot Elite) and Russia (West) among many others. Dark Places has also all but sold out across Latin America, Eastern Europe and South-East Asia.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!