Alan Thicke on Son Robin's 'Blurred Lines': 'Throw in Some World-Class Breasts, What's Not to Like?'
The "Growing Pains" star tells THR, "Someone asked if I was jealous about Robin's success and fame, and I said 'You don't have kids, do you?' "
This story first appeared in the Aug. 2 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The Hollywood Reporter gave Alan Thicke a less-than-enthusiastic review as a singer when he hosted and performed on 1983-84's late-night show Thicke of the Night. It described the future Growing Pains star's crooning style as middle-of-the-road "Rick Springfield with a delivery that looks like lip synch, even if it isn't."
But it appears the family's musical talent skipped a generation. His 36-year-old son Robin's "Blurred Lines," a sexy R&B dance megahit, has been No. 1 for six weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 and earned three MTV VMA noms. Its videos (both the unrated and tamer versions) have received 100 million-plus views on Vevo. That critics have decried the song's lyrics as "rapey," which Robin Thicke has called "ridiculous," probably has added to the view count.
"I would never call myself a musician around Robin any more than I'd be a hockey player around Wayne Gretzky," says Alan, 66, in a call from the Fallsview Casino in Niagara Falls, where he is hosting the road version of Dancing With the Stars. "Someone asked if I was jealous about Robin's success and fame, and I said, 'You don't have kids, do you?' "
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)