Alanis Morissette Bringing 'Jagged Little Pill' to Broadway
The seven-time Grammy winner is working with Tom Kitt on a musical expanded from her multiplatinum 1995 album and dipping into the rest of her body of work.
NEW YORK -- Joining the long list of popular music artists who have ventured into Broadway musicals, Alanis Morissette is at work on a show titled after her 1995 breakthrough album Jagged Little Pill, which will debut in a workshop production in 2014.
Orchestration and arrangements for the show will be provided by Tom Kitt, who is no stranger to rock stars crossing over into theater, having reshaped the songs of Green Day for the Broadway musical American Idiot.
Jagged Little Pill will include the full song list from the multiplatinum album, as well as other existing Morissette songs and original material written for the show. No details of a storyline or book writer have been released.
“I look forward to taking the heart of Jagged Little Pill and expanding its story, fleshing it out into ever deeper layers of emotionality, specificity, humanity, power, physicality, spirit and fabulism,” said Morissette in a statement.
The album sold more than 33 million copies worldwide and yielded multiple singles, including "You Oughta Know," "Hand in My Pocket," "You Learn," "Ironic" and "Perfect."
Producers on the developing musical project are Vivek J. Tiwary (American Idiot, The Addams Family) and Arvind Ethan David.
In addition to his work on the Green Day show, Kitt composed the music for the Pulitzer Prize-winning Next to Normal, which bagged him Tony Awards for best score and orchestrations in 2010. He reteams with his Next to Normal collaborators on the upcoming musical If/Then, starring Idina Menzel, which opens March 27 on Broadway following a tryout run in Washington, D.C.
Morissette's co-writer and producer on the Jagged Little Pill album, Glen Ballard, tried his hand unsuccessfully at musical theater, collaborating with Dave Stewart on Ghost: The Musical, which was a commercial flop on Broadway in 2012.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game