Alec Baldwin Apologizes to Harvey Weinstein for 'Douche Bag' Tirade
UPDATED: The renowned hothead makes peace with the movie mogul.
Alec Baldwin and Harvey Weinstein have buried the hatchet following the short-fused 30 Rock actor's tirade at the Cannes Film Festival.
Earlier this week, THR reported about Baldwin's profane rant against the mogul at a May 17 Calvin Klein party, where he told anyone who would listen what a "douche bag" Weinstein is.
“I don’t care who knows,” he declared. “After the success he had at Cannes last year and all the f---ing Oscars, he’s still a f---ing douche bag! I can’t believe it.”
The source of Baldwin's spite: Weinstein's decision to opt out of participating in Seduced and Abandoned, the Cannes documentary he’s shooting with director James Toback about financing films at the fest. Francis Ford Coppola, Nicole Kidman, Roman Polanski, Martin Scorsese and Marion Cotillard are among the boldfaced names Baldwin recruited for interviews.
"This non-issue has been resolved," Baldwin's publicist, Matthew Hiltzik, told THR on Friday. "The film and the fundraising are far more important and interesting than this."
A Weinstein rep confirmed the Baldwin-Weinstein truce and said the Weinstein Co. co-chairman had been busy juggling multiple obligations and his lack of participation in Baldwin's documentary was due to his hectic schedule.
At Cannes, Weinstein unveiled footage from Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained and Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master.
The New York Post's Page Six column first reported Baldwin's apology.
Baldwin removed himself as auction leader at Thursday's amfAR's Cannes fund-raiser -- co-hosted by Weinstein -- because he didn't want to be a distraction; instead, he showed up as a guest, writing a note to Weinstein that read: "HW, my apology to you and congratulations on a successful event."
“Alec couldn’t have been more gracious," Weinstein said. "We all lose our tempers sometime; trust me I have, too. We all appreciated his generosity to everyone at amfAR.”