Alec Baldwin Defends Against Photographer Assault Claims, References Trayvon Martin

5:24 PM PST 06/19/2012 by THR Staff
Getty Images

The "30 Rock" star allegedly hit a New York Daily News photographer after obtaining a license to marry his fiancee, Hilaria Thomas.

Alec Baldwin took to Twitter on Tuesday to respond to allegations that he had punched a photographer for the New York Daily News in the chin Tuesday morning.

According to the Daily News, the 30 Rock star hit Marcus Santos in the face outside New York's Marriage License Bureau after "apparently obtaining a license to wed" with fiancee Hilaria Thomas, a yoga instructor.

PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes of '30 Rock'

The Daily News reported that Santos was "standing innocently with two other photographers when Baldwin ... approached with an angry glare."

"He was looking mad," said Santos. "He said, 'Step back, step back.' I said, 'We’re moving back'."

The Daily News claimed that Baldwin then "grabbed" another photographer, Jefferson Siegel.

“I said, 'Don’t touch him'," Santos said. “I knew he was going to attack me. I stepped back, and he kept coming. He comes after me, starts shoving and punching me -- one time, right in the chin. And then he started shoving me, and pushing me. Then he goes the other way.”

VIDEO: 'Rock of Ages' Star Alec Baldwin on Russell Brand's Sex Appeal: 'He Has a Lot of Magical Powers'

Santos said he filed an assault complaint with the NYPD against the actor.

Baldwin hit Twitter afterward to give his side of the story, writing: "A 'photographer' almost hit me in the face with his camera this morning. #allpaparazzishouldbewaterboarded."

He then called out Daily News editor-in-chief Colin Myler, who joined the paper in January after once working as editor at Rupert Murdoch's New York Post and now-defunct News of the World, which shut down last year amid a phone-hacking scandal.

"Ever since that English Queen took over the Daily News, they lie like the Post...," Baldwin wrote, adding: "Her Highness Colin Myler... Please don't do to the News what you did to NOTW..."

He added: "The photographer who assaulted me has (belatedly) gone to a hospital claiming injuries. Colin Myler and his NOTW scams come to NY..."

VIDEO: Alec Baldwin Apologizes to Harvey Weinstein for 'Douche Bag' Tirade

Baldwin also referenced Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old who was fatally shot earlier this year by a neighborhood watchman.

"I suppose if the offending paparazzi was wearing a hoodie and I shot him, it would all blow over...," he wrote.

In a statement, Baldwin's spokesman Matthew Hiltzik said the photographer instigated the incident when he became upset after a pedestrian blocked his shot of the couple.

“The photographer was clearly frustrated, pushed past the bystanders and assaulted Alec with his camera,” the statement said. “There were no punches thrown, and any subsequent physical contact was simply Alec protecting himself.”

comments powered by Disqus