Alec Baldwin Calls NY Post 'Morally Bankrupt Trash' for Alleged Stalker Coverage
The "30 Rock" star calls the tabloid "the worst newspaper in human history" and tears into columnist Andrea Peyser for her lurid story alleging the actor had an affair.
It's one of New York's most famous rivalries: Alec Baldwin vs. the New York Post.
The liberal actor and the conservative tabloid have traded plenty of barbs over the years, and tensions were renewed Thursday. Baldwin launched a blistering tirade against the Rupert Murdoch-owned paper and gossip columnist Andrea Peyser, who called the 30 Rock star "a "bloviating psycho who seduces small women and bashes puny photographers" in a column on Thursday. Peyser was taking the side of Genevieve Sabourin, the Canadian woman who was arrested in April for allegedly stalking Baldwin and was re-arrested Tuesday.
Sabourin claims that she and Baldwin had a sexual encounter in 2010 and continued the relationship online. She was arrested for showing up at his apartment in April, then re-arrested Tuesday for tweeting at Baldwin's wife, Hilaria. Sabourin was released Wednesday. Peyser and the Post called on Baldwin to drop the charges, a public request that drew the Emmy winner's ire.
"Everyone who breathes air knows the Post is the worst newspaper in human history," Baldwin tweeted. "But shame on them for politicizing a criminal case ... and shame on the morally bankrupt partisan trash Andrea Peyser, who demeans all women by inferring that a charge of criminal harassment is overkill when the defendant is a woman. The 'lovesick' defense."
As for the request to drop the charges, Baldwin inferred that it was out of his hands.
"when some1 is arrested + brought up on charges, the DA's office functions as a state agency, and does not respond, like a concierge," he wrote. "the New York Post would have you believe that certain people have the ability to direct the DA to do their private bidding."
This latest chapter in the Baldwin-Post/Peyser rivalry is actually a continuation of fisticuffs that took place in April. Then, Peyser wrote a column that detailed Sabourin's allegations of an affair with Baldwin and bashed his then-fiancee, leading him to tweet, "You won't find a writer more casual with the truth in all of journalism than Andrea Peyser. ... Andrea Peyser, you are as bad a writer as you are filled with self-hatred. Go back to Langan's and bring a Strunk and White."
He also took issue with the reporters camped outside his apartment following Sabourin's arrest and had a physical altercation with a photographer.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche