• The Hollywood Reporter on LinkedIn
  • Follow THR on Pinterest

Alec Baldwin Will 'Never' Tweet Again, Would 'Love' to Quit Acting

Alec Baldwin Cannes Photo Call - P 2013
Getty Images
Alec Baldwin

The actor says he's decided social media is "all a waste of time" following his expletive-filled Twitter tirade against a journalist.

Alec Baldwin says he's done with Twitter for good.

Days after deleting his account -- for the third time in less than two years -- following an expletive-filled rant against a Daily Mail journalist, the actor told Vanity Fair that he's "never" going to go back on the social media site.

PHOTOS: James Gandolfini Funeral: David Chase, Alec Baldwin Attend Service

"I went to Jimmy Gandolfini’s funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn’t have Twitter," he said. "Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a f--- about social media."

Baldwin said he has decided that social media is "all a waste of time" and described it as an activity that has been losing its appeal for him.

"It's just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you," he added. "I stopped and said to myself, I’m going to try where I just don’t do this anymore."

The actor deleted his Twitter account Thursday following a tirade against reporter George Stark, who earlier in the day had written a story about Baldwin's wife, Hilaria, accusing her of tweeting during Gandolfini's memorial service in New York.

"The pregnant yoga instructor's social media feed was full of upbeat posts while the Sopranos star's friends, family and co-stars were gripped with grief at a New York Catholic church," the story read. "Messages included a request for ideas about wedding anniversary presents and promotional notes about her upcoming appearance on the Rachael Ray show."

PHOTOS: Alec Baldwin's Crazy Summer

On his Twitter feed, Baldwin responded by calling Stark a "lying little bitch" and a "toxic little queen." After getting heat over his choice of words, Baldwin later apologized, saying his “ill-advised attack” on Stark “had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone's sexual orientation.”

At some point over the weekend, the story was removed from the Daily Mail website.

Meanwhile, Baldwin told Vanity Fair that his dream is to be out of the public eye. He wants his future daughter -- Hilaria is due in the summer with their first child together -- to never know him as a celebrity. (He also has a daughter with ex-wife Kim Basinger.)

Asked if that means he plans to quit acting, Baldwin replied: "I’d love to if I could, yeah. That would be the greatest thing in the world."

Baldwin has previously talked about quitting acting but has never followed through on his comments.