Alice in Chains Co-Founder Mike Starr Dies at 44
3:37 PM PST 3/8/2011 by Mark Cina
The bassist was arrested last month for alleged drug possession.
Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr – who has publicly struggled with drug addiction and appeared on VH1's Celebrity Rehab last year – has died. He was 44.
He was found dead in a Salt Lake City house Tuesday."It's a terrible shock and tragedy," his father tells TMZ. A spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Dept. tells the Associated Press officers responded to call about a possible body at a residence southwest of downtown earlier in the afternoon. "There is nothing to indicate that this was foul play by another individual," the spokesman said. The medical examiner's office will likely conduct an autopsy Wednesday; results of toxicology tests could take up to two months. Three weeks ago, Starr was arrested in Salt Lake City on an outstanding warrant related to an earlier drugs charge, and was also carrying unauthorized prescription medications. One of the two arresting officers reported that Starr readily identified himself. "Hey officer, have you heard of Alice In Chains? I used to be the bass guitarist for them. We are down here in Utah . . . putting together a new band," he told police, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. (A court date had not yet been set.) In a sad twist, Alice in Chains frontman Layne Staley died from mixture of heroin and cocaine in 2002.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack