AllThingsD Team Confirms NBCUniversal Investment, Unveils New Site Name
Former Warner Bros. and Yahoo boss Terry Semel's firm also takes a stake in Kara Swisher's and Walt Mossberg's new tech media company Revere.
NBCUniversal's NBC News Group late Wednesday confirmed its investment in Revere Digital, a technology media company started by AllThingsD founders Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg.
Former Warner Bros. and Yahoo boss Terry Semel’s investment firm Windsor Media is also investing in Revere.
Financial details of the investments were not disclosed, but expectations have been for investors to acquire minority stakes in the new venture.
Swisher and Mossberg last year ended their AllThingsD partnership with Dow Jones & Co., which is now part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. They said that the name of their new site was Re/code.
"We are thrilled to announce that we are forming our own new and independent media company, Revere Digital LLC, with a pair of respected investors and partners – the NBCUniversal News Group and Terry Semel’s Windsor Media," Swisher and Mossberg said. "Revere will be operating news sites and apps, as well as a series of conferences."
New tech and media news site Re/code is now up and running. It will also launch a new conference, The Code Conference, to be held May 27-29 in Southern California.
“Kara and Walt are two of the most knowledgeable, well-connected and respected technology journalists working today,” said Patricia Fili-Krushel, Chairman, NBCUniversal News Group. "They built an incredible brand and business with AllThingsD, and we are very excited about partnering with them in this new venture and deepening our engagement in this rapidly changing technology market."
As part of the deal, Swisher, Mossberg and other Revere journalists will appear on-air across such NBC News networks as CNBC and MSNBC, as well as NBC's Today and Nightly News with Brian Williams.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!