AllThingsD Team to Leave Dow Jones
Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg were unable to reach an agreement to renew a partnership.
Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg are leaving Dow Jones.
"After discussions, both parties have decided not to renew the agreement when the contract expires at the end of this year," Gerard Baker, editor-in-chief of Dow Jones and managing editor of The Wall Street Journal said in a statement.
At present, however, its uncertain what will happen to the AllThingsD brand after the departure of the influential tech journalists. "We have not yet finalized plans with respect to the brand," a Dow Jones spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter.
Mossberg has worked at the Journal since 1991, writing the Personal Technology column. "I want to offer heartfelt thanks for more than twenty years of Personal Technology columns as well as his very fine reporting on national and international affairs in the years before he turned his attention to technology coverage," Baker stated.
Swisher began contributing to the paper in 1997. Both journalists hosted annual conferences under the AllThingsD brand for Dow Jones. The website focuses on breaking news and analysis in a distinctly separate, more conversational house style than the Journal.
Prospective investors in a start-up site founded by Swisher and Mossberg include NBCUniversal, reported Fortune, who broke the news.
After losing two-high profile writers, Dow Jones is planning on staffing up on technology reporters and continuing to grow its conference business. Baker stated that the Journal will be "adding 20 reviewers, bloggers, visual journalists, editors, and reporters covering digital."
In addition, the paper recently hired Slate's Farhad Manjoo as a tech columnist. In May, Jonathan Krim was named the San Francisco bureau chief for the Journal and Dow Jones.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay