'Amazing Spider-Man' Dominates Home Entertainment Charts
The Sony reboot starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone outsold nearest competitor "Arthur Christmas" by a margin of nearly four to one.
The big summer hits are beginning to blast out on video, and one of the biggest – The Amazing Spider-Man, from Sony Pictures – spun a web of consumer excitement its first week in stores.
The reboot of the superhero franchise, which earned $262 million in U.S. theaters, debuted at No. 1 on all three home video charts its first week in stores, and outsold its nearest competitor – Arthur Christmas, also from Sony – by a margin of nearly four-to-one.
Arthur was a 2011 Christmas release and grossed $46.5 million at the box office.
With those two titles, Sony captured the two top spots on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart, where statistics show Arthur sold just 15 percent as many units as Spider-Man.
The Warner comedy The Campaign, the latest Will Ferrell movie to hit video, slipped to No. 4 on both charts after debuting at No. 1 previously.
On First Alert, the No. 3 spot went to Walt Disney’s Secret of the Wings, while DreamWorks’ Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted was ranked No. 5. Both titles, in their third and fourth weeks in stores, are holding up well, as the gift-buying season begins to heat up.
On the Blu-ray Disc chart, Disney’s The Avengers was No. 3, while Madagascar was No. 5.
On Home Media Magazine’s rental chart for the week ended Nov. 11, The Amazing Spider-Man was followed at No. 2 by 20th Century Fox’s Prometheus, in its first week of widespread availability. Last week, without Netflix or Redbox in the mix, the sci-fi thriller was ranked at No. 83.
Rounding out the top five rentals: Arthur Christmas at No. 3, Lionsgate’s Madea’s Witness Protection at No. 4 and Sony’s That’s My Boy -- the previous week’s top rental – at No. 5.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!