Amazon Not Stocking New Beyonce CD Following iTunes Exclusive
The online retailer joins Target in not carrying the physical version of the singer's surprise album.
This story first appeared on billboard.com
Add Amazon to the short list of retailers protesting Beyonce's iTunes exclusive. While Amazon.com is carrying the mp3 version of the album, the online merchant is apparently not stocking the CD version of the album, according to label sources and a check of the site. The album is available, however, via third-party sellers in the Amazon marketplace.
Last week, Target said it would not carry the new Beyonce album, which iTunes got a one-week exclusive window to sell the 14-song, 17-video album and did so to the tune of more than 600,000 units in the U.S. for the first three-days of availability.
Moreover, while Amazon is carrying the Beyonce mp3s in its store, it does not appear to be supporting the album with any prime real estate. The only way the album is visible is if shoppers search for it and see that the album is there digitally for $15.99.
While most merchants have chosen to carry the Beyonce album, which streeted last Friday after iTunes' week-long exclusive window, they aren't happy about the preferential treatment given to Apple. Sources say Sony and Columbia still managed to ship over 500,000 units of the CD by last Friday's street date.
Columbia and Amazon did not respond to a request for comment at press time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack