American Airlines Files for Bankruptcy Protection
CEO Gerard Arpey steps down as the third largest U.S. flyer and its parent company seek to cut costs and unload an enormous debt.
American Airlines and its parent company, AMR Corp., announced Tuesday plans to file for Chapter 11 protection to attempt to unload a large debt accrued from years of high jet fuel prices and ongoing labor struggles.
It was also announced that CEO Gerard Arpey had stepped down and has been replaced by company president Thomas W. Horton, the Associated Press reports.
The company, which was the only major U.S. flyer not to file for bankruptcy following the September 11 terrorist attacks, which triggered a long-running slump in the industry, has continued to lose money over the last two years as other companies began making profits again.
Horton said AMR Corp.'s board of directors unanimously decided to seek Chapter 11 status after meeting Monday in New York and again by conference call Monday evening.
The airline said its AAdvantage frequent-flier program will not be affected and it will continue to operate flights, honor purchased tickets and take reservations during its bankruptcy reorganization.
However, Horton said the projected spin-off of its regional line, American Eagle, which was scheduled for early 2012, will be delayed. AMR Eagle Holding Corp. also filed for bankruptcy.
Horton also cautioned that job cuts should be expected and the airline will likely "modestly" reduce its flight schedule.
American, which was founded in 1930, was formerly the country's largest airline, but has fallen to third place behind United and Delta in recent years.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!