FremantleMedia, Producers of 'American Idol' and 'X Factor', Names New North American CEO
Thom Beers, whose Original Productions created "Ice Road Truckers" and "Deadliest Catch," will take the position vacated by Cecile Frot-Coutaz when she was promoted in April.
FremantleMedia, whose production slate includes American Idol, The X Factor and America's Got Talent, has announced the Sept. 1 appointment of Thom Beers as chief executive officer, FremantleMedia North America. Beers is currently CEO and ep at Fremantle-owned Original Productions. He will be based in Los Angeles and report to Cecile Frot-Coutaz, who was announced as CEO of the London-based company in April.
In his new position, Beers will oversee some 600 hours of programming -- network, cable and syndicated -- and supervise an executive team that included COO Donna Redier Linsk, and Trish Kinane, president of entertainment programming. The Emmy-winning Beers, via Original Productions, has created a string of hit shows including Deadliest Catch, Monster Garage, Storage Wars and Ice Road Truckers. In February 2009, FremantleMedia acquired a 75 percent stake in Original. Prior to founding Original in 1997, Beers was a production executive at Turner Broadcasting for 11 years.
Said Beers in a statement announcing the appointment: "[Fremantle's] productions and the teams behind them are amongst the most innovative and creative in the industry, and I am thrilled by the opportunity to lead the company."
Other FremantleMedia programs include The Price is Right, Family Feud and Farmer Wants A Wife.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!