'The American' tops weekend box office
'Takers' stays strong at No, 2, 'Machete' in third
The Focus Features film earned $13 million, while Sony Screen Gems' "Takers" -- which led the box office last weekend -- came in No. 2 with $11.4 million.
"Machete," which has seen its fair share of press and controversy, slipped to third with $11.3 million. Early Friday estimates had put it ahead of "The American," when it made $3.9 million to Clooney's $3.8 million. (But The Hollywood Reporter wrote Saturday that Clooney's film would likely win the Labor Day weekend box office war because it would attract more couples on date night than Robert Rodriguez's gory genre pic.)
Rounding out the top five was Lionsgate's "Last Exorcism," which has traditionally attracted a heavily Catholic audience, with $7.5 million, or $32.3 cumulative. "Going the Distance," which stars Drew Barrymore and on-again/off-again love interest Justin Long, made $6.9 million.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR