Amitabh Bachchan Carries Olympic Torch
The Indian film icon carries the Olympic torch during the last leg of its relay in London.
NEW DELHI – India was well-represented at the Olympic Torch relay when film icon Amitabh Bachchan, 69, carried the flame for its final leg in London's Southwark on Thursday.
The relay had seen a host of personalities from all over the world participating in the torch bearing ceremony. Bachchan carried the torch for 300 metres with a jog and a brisk walk, an event that was shown live on news channels here.
Other personalities who were part of the final leg of the torch relay included comedian Eddie Izzard, former England rugby players Lawrence Dallaglio and Lewis Moody while earlier torchbearers have included Formula One racing champion Lewis Hamilton, among others.
“What can one say? Olympic Torch, thousands of fans and cheering people lining the streets, and me given the pride of position. The dignity and the respect that a billion plus Indians give me, shall ever remain in my heart. Indebted, honored, humbled. In times when humanity tears each other apart, it was special to be in an event that brought communities together ...beyond all else,” Bachchan posted on his Twitter account.
Bachchan's upcoming film appearances include his first Hollywood role, a cameo in Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram