Amitabh Bachchan Carries Olympic Torch
The Indian film icon carries the Olympic torch during the last leg of its relay in London.
NEW DELHI – India was well-represented at the Olympic Torch relay when film icon Amitabh Bachchan, 69, carried the flame for its final leg in London's Southwark on Thursday.
The relay had seen a host of personalities from all over the world participating in the torch bearing ceremony. Bachchan carried the torch for 300 metres with a jog and a brisk walk, an event that was shown live on news channels here.
Other personalities who were part of the final leg of the torch relay included comedian Eddie Izzard, former England rugby players Lawrence Dallaglio and Lewis Moody while earlier torchbearers have included Formula One racing champion Lewis Hamilton, among others.
“What can one say? Olympic Torch, thousands of fans and cheering people lining the streets, and me given the pride of position. The dignity and the respect that a billion plus Indians give me, shall ever remain in my heart. Indebted, honored, humbled. In times when humanity tears each other apart, it was special to be in an event that brought communities together ...beyond all else,” Bachchan posted on his Twitter account.
Bachchan's upcoming film appearances include his first Hollywood role, a cameo in Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother