Amy Poehler Responds to Taylor Swift: 'I Am Going to Hell … but for Other Reasons'
The Golden Globes co-host's comments come after the pop star, quoting Madeleine Albright, said there’s “a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”
While critics raved about Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s Golden Globes hosting gig this year, Taylor Swift has some harsher words to share.
As part of a cover feature in this month's Vanity Fair, the country-pop darling -- whose string of recent breakups have provided ample fodder for her radio-ready tunes -- suggests that the duo, and other "mean girls" in general, go to hell. The comment came in response to Fey's in-show quip that the 23-year-old singer should “stay away from Michael J. Fox’s son,” with a suggestion that she could use “some 'me time' to learn about herself." Poehler followed with advice of her own: "Go for it," she joked, garnering big laughs in the Beverly Hills ballroom.
But it would seem Swift didn't find the jab as funny as the some 20 million who tuned in.
“You know, Katie Couric is one of my favorite people, because she said to me she had heard a quote that she loved, that said, ‘There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women,’ ” Swift told Vanity Fair. (Technically, the quote is attributed to Madeleine Albright, the country's first female secretary of state, who uttered the words during a 2006 speech for the WNBA’s All-Decade Team.)
Reached by The Hollywood Reporter for comment, Poehler, who is active in women's causes -- including a Smart Girls YouTube channel dedicated to empowering younger girls -- said: "Aw, I feel bad if she was upset. I am a feminist, and she is a young and talented girl. That being said, I do agree I am going to hell. But for other reasons. Mostly boring tax stuff. "
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)