Amy Winehouse Death: M.I.A. Releases Tribute Song, '27' (Listen)
"Your friendship did mean something/But you left me for nothing," she raps in the unfinished demo.
Hours after the death of Amy Winehouse was announced, M.I.A. posted "27," a demo dedicated to the 27-year-old deceased singer, on her Twitter page. The song was originally going to be included on M.I.A.'s 'Vicki Leekx" mixtape, but finds new resonance in the wake of WInehouse's death.
On the short, somber track, M.I.A. reminisces about a friend who idolizes the life of a rock star and undergoes a downward spiral, over a stuttering mid-tempo beat. "I took you to the clinic/To get you clean but you couldn't," she sings, before later concluding, "Your friendship did mean something/But you left me for nothing."
"I recorded this song B4 vickileekx and never put it out. its a unfinished demo," wrote M.I.A. "R.I.P A.M.Y."
Winehouse, who was found dead in her London home on Saturday (July 23), joins the list of gifted artists like Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix who all died at 27. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Winehouse family told Us Weekly, "Our family has been left bereft by the loss of Amy, a wonderful daughter, sister, niece. She leaves a gaping hole in our lives."
The song has been streamed more than 110,000 times as of Monday morning.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'