Amy Winehouse Inquest Could Be Reheard After Coroner Irregularity Exposed
Suzanne Greenaway has resigned after it was discovered she did not have the requisite legal experience for the job.
LONDON – The inquest which found that Amy Winehouse had died from alcohol poisoning could be reheard after it emerged that the coroner who conducted it did not have the legal experience for the job.
In a statement the Winehouse family said they were “taking advice on the implications of this and will decide if any further discussion with the authorities is needed."
Suzanne Greenaway, who recorded a verdict of death by misadventure last October on the multi-Grammy award winning singer, resigned a month later when it emerged she did not have the mandatory five years legal experience in the U.K.
It has emerged that the Australian barrister had been appointed to the post of assistant deputy coroner by her husband, Dr Andrew Reid, who is the district coroner for the St Pancras area of London.
Reid has now written to around the families of around 30 people over whose deaths Greenaway acted asking them if they wanted to have the inquests reheard.
A separate inquiry by the Office of Judicial Complaints, which oversees the Coroner service, has also been launched.
“I appointed my wife as deputy assistant commissioner as I believed at the time that her experience as a solicitor and barrister in Australia satisfied the requirements of the post,” Dr Reid said in a statement.
“In November of last year it became apparent that I had made an error in the appointment process and I accepted her resignation.” While I am also confident that all of the inquests handled were done so correctly, I apologise if this mater causes distress to the families and friends of the deceased.”
Reid went on to say that he was writing to all the families affected to “personally apologize and offer for their cases to be reheard if requested.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!