Amy Winehouse's Posthumous Album, 'Lioness: Hidden Treasures,' Debuts at Top of U.K. Charts
The late singer's father broke the news of the high sales on Twitter, adding how much of the profits will go to charity.
Just a day after her Back to Black album was dethroned as the top seller of the 21st century in her native Britain, Amy Winehouse's posthumous EP debuted at number one on the British charts.
Lioness: Hidden Treasures sold more copies than any other album in the country last week, as the late singer's father, Mitch WInehouse, announced on Twitter.
"Just been told," Mitch wrote on Tuesday. "Amy at number 1. 140,000 sold = £140,000 to foundation in one day. Well done baby."
Though the official U.K. chart has not yet been released, the AP reports that Winehouse's label, Island Records, confirmed her position at the top of the charts.
The EP is a collection of covers and unreleased original tracks. Producers Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson, Winehouse's frequent collaborators, chose the 12 songs from thousands of hours of the singer's vocals after her July death.
"My heart is sad but bursting with pride," Mitch Winehouse added on Twitter.
The patriarch has commented in the media on the difficulty of seeing more of his daughter's work released after her passing, but has been actively touting the Amy Winehouse Foundation. Part of the profits from Lioness will go to the namesake organization, which benefits children in need.
Winehouse replaces X Factor finalist Olly Murs' sophomore album at the top of the charts.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!